How do you apply for a PTPTN loan?
If you visit the Perbadanan Tabung Pendidikan Tinggi Nasional (PTPTN) website, you will find a myriad information on the education loan scheme that is immensely popular among local tertiary education students. However, with such a large number of links to pertinent information on its website, it might seem daunting to find out how to apply for the PTPTN loan. Don’t worry, we’ve done the dirty work for you and summarised the whole process into 5 simple steps!
1. Open a Skim Simpanan Pendidikan Nasional (SSPN-i) savings account
There are 3 ways to do that:
- Online – Visit the SSPN-i website for the quickest and easiest way to open an SSPN-i account.
- One Stop Center – This PTPTN services counter is based at KL Sentral. For more information on its opening hours and other details, click here.
- PTPTN agents – You can also opt to open an SSPN-i account at any of the branches of PTPTN agents nationwide. Check out the list of PTPTN agents here.
For those who prefer not to use the online option, you may download the application form here to speed up the application process.
2. Open a savings account with a panel bank
Depending on the educational institution at which you are studying, there are several panel banks that you may choose from to open a savings account. Here are the panel bank lists for public higher education institutions (IPTA) and private higher education institutions (IPTS).
3. Purchase a Unique ID number from Bank Simpanan Nasional (BSN)
The Unique ID number – also known as the PIN number – is required when applying for the PTPTN loan. Just visit any BSN branch or ATM nationwide to purchase the number, or do so via SMS. It goes for RM5 a pop and is valid for six months. For more information, click here.
4. Apply via PTPTN’s loan application website
Once you’ve covered steps 1 to 3 above, it’s time to do the deed! Visit this link to start applying. Make sure you read the instructions carefully and provide the necessary information and documents requested. Once you’ve done so, submit your completed application form and wait for the good news!
5. Prepare documents for submission to the tertiary education institution
Applicants are usually notified of their application results via email within 6 working days of the application deadline. While waiting, it might be a good idea to prepare all the necessary documents to be submitted to your tertiary education institution. Among them include:
- 2 LHDN Stamps (Setem Hasil) worth RM10
- 1 copy of the offer letter from the tertiary education institution
- 2 copies of the Education Financing Offer Letter
- 2 copies of the Education Financing Agreement – for more information and to download the document, click here.
- 2 copies of Education Financing Agreement Appendix, and
- 1 copy of the Financing Application.
Also prepare 1 certified copy each of the following:
- IC – make sure to print both front and back on the same side of the paper
- SPM certificate
- Examination transcript or other qualification certificates (e.g. STPM, Diploma, Matrikulasi, A-Level, Foundation, etc.), and
- Parents’ salary slip / income tax return / retiree card / pension statement / income verification letter / letter of confirmation of unemployment.
For detailed information on preparing the documents, take a look here.
Good luck on the application!