Are you ready to set your college years up for success?
As a recent SPM school leaver or a parent of a to-be college freshman – it’s all about preparing for the first year of higher education. This transition emits so much more than just progressing from one education level to the next; it’s the beginning of true self-transformation, independence, adulthood, professionalism and everything that has yet to be discovered and achieved.
Understandably, this is also a great time of transition for you as a student. Attending college orientation can mean all the difference between feeling eager and ready and feeling unsure and apprehensive.
Why is Orientation Day important?
Equally as important for both parents and students – college orientation serves as a powerful guide for what’s to come, what to expect and how to make the most of your studying year. Even if you’re not dying to go or have been on the fence about registering, the value of attending orientation this summer cannot be overstated.
It was found that first-year students who attended their college orientation:
• Engaged in more academically enriching activities.
• Observed the campus environment as more supportive.
• Reported greater developmental gains during the first year of college.
• Expressed greater satisfaction with the overall college experience.
Additionally, attending college orientation is linked to several positive outcomes for students throughout their entire collegiate career, such as:
- Students who attend their college orientation are more likely to pass their classes and graduate than those who don’t.
- Programmes that show students what to expect and what success can look and feel like help students bring meaning and find purpose in their educational experiences.
- College orientation sessions were also found to have a positive impact on social integration and an individual’s commitment to the institution.
A good orientation programme helps students feel excited about starting college and smooths the transition to campus life and the independence that comes with it.
Begin your journey with Career Advisor and find #awesomecourses and #awesomecareers. Good luck!